What are your favorite recipes to cook at home?
Share this recipe:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic – smashed and chopped
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar (to cut acidity)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 4 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the tomatillos and jalapenos with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Roast until soft and starting to brown, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring twice during roasting. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the bacon juice and heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook till translucent. Add the chicken, in batches, until well-browned. When browned, add all of the chicken back to the pan and cover with chicken stock. Add the roasted vegetables, cover and reduce heat – continue cooking. While chicken is cooking, finely chop the cilantro and add to the chicken. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve with warm flour tortillas. Note: My verde was a little hot, so I added 1 can drained peas to cut the heat.